Automotive - Cars / Trucks / Buses
The ride is lighter despite the heavy loads
All road transport applications strive to reduce weight without compromising consistent rigidity, which is something we absolutely excel at. The weight reduction results in a significant reduction of fuel consumption as well as in an increased weight capacity, which are both driving factors behind the vehicle operating costs.
This is particularly important for future local urban traffic solutions or electric cars, where weight savings result in a significant reduction of energy, electricity consumption and consequently in an increased range.
Sandwich constructions are the ideal material for the construction of road vehicles due to their minimal weight, excellent optical features, high corrosion resistance and enormous rigidity. They also have excellent fire and insulating properties and their superb formability can facilitate the work of the designer. With our Hybrid Core Concept® we have the product portfolio, expertise and toolset to optimally support our customers in the crucial phases of product design and manufacturing.
Our trendsetting technologies protect the environment, save resources and reduce operating costs significantly. Therefore, our composites AIREX® and BALTEK® allow environmentally and economically optimized road transport solutions. We offer versatile materials for various areas of application: passenger cars, recreational vehicles, trucks, buses and special purpose vehicles.
- Great potential for weight reduction (lower fuel consumption, higher weight capacity)
- Low total operating costs
- Excellent mechanical properties
- Good thermal insulating properties
- Easy processing
- Thermal formability
- High corrosion resistance
- Global availability
- Sustainability and recyclability
- Interior trim (e.g. door cladding, seat back cover, parcel shelf)
- Floor panels
- Roofs, engine hoods
- Body (walls, roofs)
- Wind deflectors
AIREX® T92 – General Dynamics European Land Systems (GDELS), Switzerland, Heavy-duty vehicle Eagle, 2012
AIREX® T92 – The Easy Processing Structural Foam
- General Dynamics European Land Systems (GDELS), Switzerland Heavy-duty vehicle "Eagle" with AIREX®T92.100
- Closed-mold resin injection
- Reduction of the engine hood‘s weight by almost 40%
- Material shapeability and therefore optimized vehicle design
- Excellent mechanical properties
- High thermal and acoustical insulation
BALTEK® SBC – General Motors USA, Cadillac XLR, 2011
BALTEK® SBC – Plantation controlled structural Balsa for Infusion
- General Motors USA Floor panels and trunk floor of Cadillac XLR sandwiched with BALTEK® SB.100
- Compression molding
- Weight saving
- Improved part performance (stiffness, noise reduction, vibration damping)
- Increased productivity and cost efficiency
AIREX® C70, AIREX® C71, Nuon Solar, Denmark, Solar racing car, 2004
AIREX® C70 – The Lightweight Structural Foam
AIREX® C71 – The temperature-resistant structural foam
- Nuon Solar, Denmark Nuna 2 with different core materials: Upper shell: AIREX® C70.40 Lower shell: AIREX® C71.55
- Vacuum infusion
- Very low weight
- Low resin absorption
Easy to process FST structural foam
Applications: cars, trucks, buses. – excellent FST.
Advantages: lightweight, good fire resistance, good insulation, easy shaping, recyclable.
Easy to process structural PET foam
Applications: cars, trucks, buses
Advantages: lightweight, best-in-class resin uptake, especially with SealX, easy shaping, recyclable.
Industrialized structural PET foam core
Applications: cars, trucks, buses.
Advantages: excellent surface quality, lightweight, high fatigue strength, directional properties, cell homogeneity, easy shaping, recyclable.
Non-Woven Core material for Open Molding
Applications: parts, panels.
Advantages: cost efficient, time savings, weight savings, conformable, print blocker – improved surface finish, excellent surface finish, easy processing.
Non-Woven Core material for Closed Molding
Applications: parts, panels, liners.
Advantages: cost-efficient, time savings, weight savings, conformable, print blocker – improved surface finish, inter-laminar flow medium, compression resistant.
Surfacing Veil material for Closed Molding
Applications: parts, exterior panels, interior cosmetic panels.
Advantages: improved chemical and abrasion resistance, improved surface cosmetics, reduction of fiber print, osmosis prevention, conformable.