One of our strongest commitments is to cut our carbon footprint significantly. Therefore all our industrial projects are aimed at offsetting the company’s carbon footprint. We continuously conduct projects and research studies related to industrial parameters – CO2 consumption measurements and offsetting programs, lean manufacturing and packaging projects.
Projects by site
- CO2 consumption measurement in the elaboration of raft panels.
- Mitigation measures to reduce CO2 consumption, decrease plastic consumption and improve energy efficiency. The project was recognized with the UN Global Compact Award 2017.
- The Award is presented within the framework of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) – a part of a wider 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development – set by the United Nations, acknowledging the contribution of 3A Composites Core Materials activities to the achievement of the following global goals: 12 Responsible Consumption and Production, 13 Climate Action and 15 Life on Land.
Papua New Guinea
- New waste system implemented to extract production waste - saw dust, shavings, and other wood particles at 5 t/day - and to convert such waste into pressed briquettes, which are then used to power the boiler system to needed for drying raw sawn timber. The system facilitates a reduction in CO2 emissions by PLC (Programmable Logic Controller) controlled burning, 2017.
- Dust emissions have been reduced by 85% and are in line with the prescribed tolerance limits for wood production factories.
- Since 2018 a new strategic purchasing program has been rolled out at the division level run by the site in China to ensure:
- 3A Composites Core Materials packaging suppliers worldwide become carbon neutral
- A significant reduction in “Box” packaging replaced by “Bulk” packaging to minimize waste
- A standard aligning both “Bulk” and “Box” packaging to improve efficiencies.
- For the new period 2013-2020, the Sins site has committed itself to increasing energy efficiency and reducing CO2 emissions.
- Specific energy consumption (= energy per mass produced, kWh/kg) was reduced by 13% in 2016 for the second year in a row vs. a 5y-average due to high production capacity utilization.
- Water consumption, air emissions and waste were also reduced:
- Cooling water: reduction -17%. Energy consumption of water pumps: -5.7%. Drinking water: ca. stable.
- CO2: -1.5% reduction.
- Waste: -4.3% reduction. 27% of waste (= 325 tons) destined for recycling.
The United States
- During the last 3 years the 3A Composites Core Materials High Point site in the US has committed itself to becoming a zero landfill operation and to increasing energy efficiency.
- Recycling: in total 35% of waste (= 18 tons) was destined for recycling in 2017.
- Energy efficiency: a 10% reduction in energy consumption in 2017.
- The High Point site was awarded with the SHARP certification, which recognizes small and medium sized employers who have developed and maintained effective safety and health programs.